For some people, the idea of getting dentures can be a scary prospect. If you are in this situation, it may mean that you have lost most or all of your teeth. This could have happened because they were severely decayed or many of them were damaged in a serious accident. Regardless of why you…
A broken tooth requires immediate attention, whether you have a broken molar, a chipped front tooth, or damaged veneer. Even if you’re not in pain, this problem can get bigger quickly and lead to further complications. At Ida Alfonso Dental Arts in Carlsbad, CA, we will assess the situation and quickly make the necessary repairs.
Restorative Dentistry for a Broken Tooth
The severity of your broken tooth will determine what your Carlsbad dentist recommends for a repair. Some of the most common fixes for a damaged tooth include:
- Tooth-colored filling: Minor breaks can easily be repaired with a tooth-colored filling, which prevents food particles and bacteria from entering the tooth. The durable composite preserves the natural tooth with a natural-looking repair that both stabilizes tooth structure and prevents additional breakage.
- Porcelain crown: When a tooth is so badly compromised that it cannot be repaired with a filling, a porcelain crown is used to cover the entire tooth. The crown is customized in size, shape, and color to blend in with the rest of your smile.
- Dental bonding: A small surface break that interrupts the appearance of your smile can be corrected with dental bonding. This treatment is fast, non-invasive, and excellent for speedy cosmetic repairs.
- Tooth extraction: Pulling a broken tooth is always a last resort, but sometimes it’s the best solution for a tooth that cannot be repaired any other way. Eventually, after extraction and healing, the missing tooth can be replaced with a dental implant, dental bridge, or other restoration.
Causes of a Broken Tooth
Some people know exactly why their tooth is broken, others are unclear on how this problem could have possibly occurred. The cause of a broken tooth is important and will affect how your Carlsbad dentist treats your acute issue as well as your oral health in general. Even though teeth are incredibly strong and durable, breaks happen.
Some of the most common causes of a broken tooth include:
- Deteriorating dental work: Old fillings, especially silver fillings, may fall out or expand and damage the entire integrity of a tooth.
- Blow to the mouth: Whether you suffer a blow to the mouth in a sporting match, car accident, fall, or from child’s perfectly aimed throw of a heavy toy, a hit in the wrong place can crack a tooth instantly.
- Teeth grinding: So many broken teeth come from teeth that do damage to themselves. If you grind or clench your teeth or have TMJ problems, teeth will weaken and eventually break.
- Biting down wrong: Trying to bite into a piece of ice or hard candy can break a tooth. Using your teeth for tasks other than eating – like opening a package – can break them too.
Cost Factors for Broken Tooth Repair
Every broken tooth is different and every patient will have a unique set of costs for repairing the tooth. These can include:
- The severity of the break
- The location of the tooth
- Type of repair(s) needed
- Materials used for repair
- Location of the dental office
If you are avoiding the dentist because you are concerned about the cost of treatment, don’t. There is always a want to work out financing and payments for your dental repairs. What’s far worse is not addressing the problem and allowing it to get bigger, leading to a need for more invasive and costly dentistry. At Ida Alfonso Dental arts, we provide budget-friendly dental care, so you never have to go without the treatment you need.
Emergency Dentistry for a Broken Tooth in Carlsbad, CA
If you have a broken tooth, contact Ida Alfonso Dental Arts in Carlsbad, CA, immediately to discuss the circumstances with our team and find out if you need to be seen right away. Dental emergencies are serious, and they will not get better on their own. Our goal is to correct the existing problem, stop any discomfort, and prevent any further deterioration. Schedule your appointment today.