Millions of adults have missing teeth, and many rely on the strength and stability of dental implants to replace one missing tooth or an entire jaw of missing teeth. Not only does this permanent dental restoration give each patient a complete smile, it restores functionality so you can speak, bite, and chew with confidence. At Ida Alfonso Dental Arts in Carlsbad, CA, we offer dental implants as an advanced restorative dentistry solution.
Parts of a Dental Implant
The dental implant procedure and the actual restoration are both composed of several parts. The procedure itself takes two to three visits to your dentist to complete, in addition to significant healing time.
- Post: Dental implant posts are made of titanium, a durable, biocompatible metal. The post is surgically implanted under the gumline into the jawbone where it fuses in place to take the place of the missing tooth root.
- Abutment:The abutment is a small piece of metal attached to the implant post. It is slightly visible above the gumline and the permanent prosthetic tooth will eventually be attached to it.
- Prosthesis:The implant prosthesis is a customized dental crown, typically made of porcelain and shaded and shaped to look like the rest of your teeth. This prosthesis is permanently attached to the implant once the implant has completely healed through a process called osseointegration and is stabilized. The result is a tooth that looks and feels completely natural.
Qualifying for Dental Implants
Most patients are good candidates for dental implants, but there are factors to consider that may make someone a better candidate for dentures, a dental bridge, or other tooth replacement option.
- Strong jawbone: If patients do not have enough healthy jawbone to hold a dental implant in place, bone grafts will be necessary first to ensure that the jawbone can receive the implant. This requires additional patience and healing time before the implant procedure can begin.
- Healthy gums: Quite often, people are missing teeth because of gum disease. If this infection is present, it must be completely cleaned up and healed before dental implants can be put in place.
- Good oral health: During the preparation part of the dental implant procedure, your Carlsbad dentist will conduct a thorough review of your oral health, including scans and x-rays of the jawbone and its health and density, to make sure you are a good candidate for this procedure.
Once it has been determined that you will benefit from dental implants, they will be carefully designed to fit your jaw and gum and the crowns will be customized too. The entire dental implant procedure takes a long time - potentially several months from start to finish - so patience is a must. If you need a quicker solution for missing teeth or don’t want to wait for the benefits of dental implants, talk to your Carlsbad dentist about other dental restorations that can work for you.
Cost Factors for Dental Implants
Dental implants are a high-end restorative dentistry treatment. They are highly customized to each patient based on the following cost factors:
- Number of implants
- Type of implant
- Location of implant
- Whether bone grafts are needed
- Materials used
- Location of the dental practice
At Ida Alfonso Dental Arts, we accept various forms of payment for restorative dentistry, including dental insurance and health savings accounts, while also offering dental credit cards with low-interest financing and budget-friendly payment plans.
Get Dental Implants Near Me in Carlsbad, CA
Dental implants look and feel natural, prevent bone loss, are durable, and require no special upkeep beyond regular brushing and flossing. These super-strong, permanent restorations are life-altering, especially for people who have long had missing teeth. Find out if dental implants are right for you. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Ida Alfonso and her team in Carlsbad, CA.
Check out what others are saying about our Dental Implants services on Yelp: Dental Implants Carlsbad
For some people, the idea of getting dentures can be a scary prospect. If you are in this situation, it may mean that you have lost most or all of your teeth. This could have happened because they were severely decayed or many of them were damaged in a serious accident. Regardless of why you…
The local dental center might not be a favorite place to visit, but it is vital for maintaining oral health. If you have not had an appointment with a dentist for a while, you may have forgotten what takes place during a dental checkup. This can be especially helpful if you have any anxiety about…
People may not think of denture repair as a regular need at the dentist’s office. However, if you have artificial teeth, there may be a time when they break or experience other issues. A dental professional has the knowledge and training to fix this apparatus, so patients should not attempt the repairs themselves. If you…
It is normal for teeth to yellow or become stained over time, but teeth whitening can return a smile to its original brightness. The American Association of Orthodontics reports that more than 30% of Americans are unhappy with their smile. Getting teeth whitened is a simple, easy process that can help anyone regain confidence in…
Gum disease, if left untreated, often results in tooth loss, leaving many patients to wonder if they can get dental implants. Even gum disease patients who do not develop the advanced form of the disease, known as periodontitis, may want to replace missing or decayed teeth with implants. Is this possible, or will unhealthy gums…