Not all dentists are trained in the art and science of Invisalign. If you are interested in this alignment method, seek out a certified Invisalign dentist who has undergone the proper training and has the experience to customize a new smile for you, like Dr. Ida Alfonso at Ida Alfonso Dental Arts in Carlsbad, CA.
The Rules of Invisalign
Invisalign uses a series of clear aligners to gently and consistently move teeth into alignment over the course of several months to a year. The treatment is discreet because the trays are clear and snug-fitting, so they are almost impossible to see.
While every patient will have their own set of trays designed just for them, there are rules that every Invisalign wearer must follow:
- Wear the trays for 20 to 22 hours a day. To get the greatest benefit from your treatment and keep it on track, you must wear the trays for the majority of every day. They should only be removed four to six times a day for meals, snacks, and cleanings.
- Change the trays every two weeks. Your Invisalign dentist will outline your treatment plan from start to finish before you even wear your first trays, and typically you will wear each set of trays for two weeks before exchanging them for the next set.
- Visit your dentist every six to eight weeks. You only need to see your Invisalign dentist every six to eight weeks for check-ups to review your progress and collect the next sets of trays.
- Remove the aligners for meals. You cannot eat with Invisalign in your mouth, and the only thing you can drink while wearing them is water. Otherwise, you run the risk of staining or discoloring the trays, not to mention breaking them, and potentially getting food particles stuck between trays and teeth, which can lead to tooth decay.
Benefits of Wearing Invisalign
Everyone who wants Invisalign has their own reason for pursuing this orthodontic alternative. The benefits a wearer receives, though, are consistent across the board, no matter what your original intentions were.
- Better oral health. Straight teeth are healthier teeth. When teeth are in full alignment, they’re far easier to floss and brush, which means food particles, bacteria, and plaque aren’t getting stuck like they used to and you’re less likely to suffer from cavities. Some people who grind and clench their teeth even see an improvement with this problem after treatment is complete.
- Freedom. As long as you wear your trays for 22 hours a day, you can enjoy the freedom that comes with wearing Invisalign. Traditional metal braces can be frustrating, uncomfortable, and highly noticeable. Invisalign lets you take brief breaks from treatment when you need it, or enjoy hardware-free teeth for photos or special events.
- No food restrictions. Ask any braces-wearer what bugs them most about their treatment and they’re likely to say it’s that they can’t eat their favorite foods. As long as your teeth aren’t feeling tender from shifting around, you can dig into whatever foods you like when your trays are not in place.
- Discreet. Invisalign has major appeal for adults in particular, people who have always wanted straight teeth but didn’t want the metal brackets and wires that broadcast their treatment to the world. The nearly invisible nature of Invisalign makes it possible to invest in this procedure without feeling like your job, social life, or lifestyle in general is dramatically compromised.
Are You a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Only your Carlsbad Invisalign dentist can tell you for certain if you are a good candidate for this revolutionary orthodontic alternative. Schedule a consultation with Invisalign dentist Dr. Alfonso and her team to find out if Invisalign is right for you.
Check out what others are saying about our Invisalign® services on Yelp: Invisalign® Carlsbad
To learn more about dental bridges and how they can be used to replace your missing teeth, call 760-931-0144. Our Carlsbad, CA dental office is conveniently located, and we are currently accepting new patients.
Back to top of Invisalign Dentist
Having crooked teeth or an improper bite can affect a person’s dental health and smile, but an Invisalign® dentist can help patients achieve a straighter smile for years to come. Before beginning, patients first have a consultation with a dentist to learn more about the process. Asking questions is important for allowing patients to feel…
Does Invisalign really work? This treatment is often marketed as a more convenient alternative to braces, but some patients are concerned about its effectiveness. Invisalign® may sound too good to be true — patients do not have to worry about avoiding certain foods that may become stuck in traditional braces.Like traditional braces, Invisalign® is designed…
While researching options for teeth straightening, many patients consider the use of clear braces instead of traditional metal braces. There are pros and cons to each option. Before making a decision, learning more about the differences between clear braces options and traditional teeth straightening can help patients decide which route works for their circumstances.Traditional metal…
When it comes to straightening crooked teeth, Invisalign® for teens is an excellent option for many families. This system is appealing due to its numerous benefits:Shorter treatment timelinesDiscreet appearanceLess discomfortFewer dietary restrictionsAs with any type of alignment system, teenagers need guidance when managing the new responsibility of wearing and caring for Invisalign® trays. These tips…