Sore and Bleeding Gums
When you have sore and bleeding gums, something is wrong with your oral health. You may not want to admit it, and you may try to wait it out to see if the issue dissolves on its own. Take it from the dental experts at Ida Alfonso Dental Arts in Carlsbad, CA – when your gums hurt and are bleeding, you need professional dental care to solve the problem.
Causes of Sore and Bleeding Gums
Regular bleeding from the gums should never be ignored. Soreness, pain, and blood are warning signs that you have a potentially serious dental problem. There are several possible reasons that you may experience gum discomfort, ranging from minor to major diagnoses, including:
- Gum disease: Periodontal disease starts small, so sometimes a patient will not even notice that they have a complication. Eventually, though, it will be obvious that your gums are not healthy. They may be red, swollen, sore, bleeding, and irritated. These are all clear signs of gum disease, a bacterial infection that can only be corrected with treatment from a dentist.
- Receding gums: Gum recession can be caused by an advanced form of gum disease, which weakens the gums and causes them to recede and separate from the teeth. Chronic teeth grinding is also responsible for gum recession, as well as genetics, where some people are simply born with thinner gum tissue.
- Aggressive toothbrushing: If the only time your gums bleed is when you brush your teeth, you may be using too heavy of a hand to get the job done. You don’t need to press hard or brush aggressively to get the surface of your teeth clean. This problem is easily corrected with a lighter hand and softer toothbrush.
Treatments for Gum Problems
Your gums are just as important as your teeth, and keeping them both healthy is the only way to maintain a strong, secure smile. Treatments for gum problems can include:
- Laser dentistry: A high-powered laser makes gum disease treatment far more comfortable, breaking up plaque and tartar to remove the irritant that caused the gum disease. This treatment is non-invasive, easy to heal from, and returns the gums to good health.
- Root planing and scaling: This is the traditional method of pulling the gums away from the tooth and using dental tools to scrape away built-up bacteria, plaque and tartar. While effective, it is uncomfortable.
- Dental bonding: Covering up recessed areas of the gum can protect them from soreness, sensitivity, and any discomfort. Dental bonding is a fast, non-invasive procedure.
Cost Factors of Treatment for Sore and Bleeding Gums
Every dental treatment is unique to every patient. The cost factors will vary for any sort of gum treatment, depending on:
- Whether or not you have dental insurance
- What type of dental coverage you have
- The complexity of your oral health circumstances
- How many procedures need to be done
- Whether multiple dental visits are required
Any gum problems need to be treated and are considered necessary dental care. At Ida Alfonso Dental Arts, we work with our patients to develop a treatment plan that gels with your budget so you feel comfortable getting the oral health care you very much need.
When to See Your Carlsbad Dentist About Sore and Bleeding Gums
Taking good care of your teeth helps prevent dental emergencies from occurring, but remember that no matter what kind of gum pain or discomfort you are experiencing, there is a dental procedure that can fix it. Don’t shy away from the dentist’s office because you’re embarrassed about how your gums or teeth look – we want to help, and we have seen it all.
Contact Ida Alfonso Dental Arts to explain your symptoms and find out if you need to be seen right away. Schedule an appointment at our Carlsbad, CA, dental office and get help to alleviate your sore and bleeding gums and protect your oral health.