For some people, the idea of getting dentures can be a scary prospect. If you are in this situation, it may mean that you have lost most or all of your teeth. This could have happened because they were severely decayed or many of them were damaged in a serious accident. Regardless of why you…
Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom teeth are situated in the very back of the mouth in both the upper and lower jaws. Most people do not have room for these third molars, and they are typically removed during the late teens or early adulthood. At Ida Alfonso Dental Arts in Carlsbad, CA, we perform both routine and emergency wisdom teeth extraction to protect you from the pain and complications that can be caused by wisdom teeth.
Problems Caused by Wisdom Teeth
Humans no longer require four additional molars. Evolution has given us smaller mouths and foods that are easier to eat. Wisdom teeth never went extinct though, so we must manage them as they develop, typically through wisdom tooth extraction.
If wisdom teeth are not removed, they are unlikely to erupt perfectly and vertically. They are far more likely to remain partially erupted or impacted, either of which circumstance can cause serious oral health problems, including:
- Severe pain
- Tooth decay
- Tooth or jaw damage
Sometimes it’s tough to know if the discomfort you’re experiencing is a wisdom tooth problem or another oral health problem, especially because wisdom teeth do not always provide a visual clue and erupt through the gums. However, swelling, stiffness, sensitivity, and jaw pain are telltale signs that the likely culprit is impacted wisdom teeth. You want to see your Carlsbad dentist right away to get an exact diagnosis and have the problem addressed quickly.
The Procedure for Wisdom Tooth Extraction
A wisdom tooth extraction is a routine procedure that, ideally, is arranged long before any dental emergencies develop because of these third molars. Extraction is done under anesthesia and can take place at the dentist’s office, an outpatient clinic, or the hospital. The location will depend on your dentist’s preference and how complex a case is.
Here is how the wisdom tooth extraction procedure typically proceeds for each tooth that is being removed:
- Incision: A small incision is made in the gumline to expose the tooth and bone.
- Extraction: The tooth and its roots are extracted in small pieces until completely removed.
- Cleaning: All debris is meticulously cleaned out of the socket.
- Stitching: The surgical area is stitched shut and gauze is used to staunch the bleeding.
- Recovery: It will be necessary to wait for a short time before release and any wisdom tooth patient must have an escort to take them home from their appointment.
- Healing: Detailed instructions are provided so the patient knows how to clean the surgical area, manage pain, and eat. Healing will require several days to a few weeks of downtime before normal activities can resume.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Cost Factors
There will be a base price available from your Carlsbad dentist for the general removal of wisdom teeth. Other factors, though, will affect the total cost, including:
- If the procedure is a dental emergency or routine extraction
- How complex the case is
- How many teeth are being removed
- The length of the surgery
- The amount and type of anesthesia used
- Location of the procedure
The only way to get rid of wisdom teeth is to have them extracted. You never want to wait for the teeth to erupt just to see if they cause any problems. These are not friendly teeth for your mouth and your dentist wants to save you from unnecessary oral health complications because of wisdom teeth. There are multiple financing options and affordable payment plans available to cover the cost of wisdom teeth extraction.
Get Wisdom Tooth Extraction in Carlsbad
Ideally, you want to see your dentist regularly so this oral health development can be monitored and addressed before it becomes a problem. Contact Ida Alfonso Dental Arts in Carlsbad, CA, today to schedule a consultation about a possible wisdom teeth extraction. Don’t wait until your next dental appointment if there is a problem bothering you today. Allow us to help you right away and save your oral health.