Dental crowns and bridges are perhaps the most popular oral restorations that help to restore damaged and missing teeth, respectively. A crown is also called a dental cap as it covers a tooth in its entirety. It is commonly used to treat teeth that are weak, cracked, worn out, misshapen, chipped, etc. Bridges are used as a replacement to natural teeth that are extracted or lost due to external trauma.
Dr. Ida Alfonso is a highly experienced dentist who has treated thousands of patients over her long-spanning career. Our practice is one of the best in the Carlsbad, CA region as we have an excellent team combined with the state-of-the-art equipment.
Why should you choose crowns?
- Dental crowns are made from a ceramic material that can be customized to match the shape and color of the natural teeth. They offer unmatched aesthetics and keep the restoration under disguise.
- They can be used for several restorative purposes. Dentists use crowns to treat teeth that are cracked, chipped, worn out or weak due to a root canal procedure.
- They do not add a lot of volume to the existing tooth structure. Also, the crown restores the functionality of the tooth and makes it stronger.
The dentist would screen the teeth to check for signs of infection, damage, cavities and decide whether or not the crown is required. A thin layer of the enamel will be removed by buffing to make space for the crown. X-rays and scans of the teeth will be taken along with a highly precise mold to act as a reference for fabricating the crown. Dental grade ceramic will be used for this purpose as it is strong, customizable and highly durable. During the next appointment, the crown will be placed on the tooth and checked for fit and comfort. It will then be bonded firmly using dental adhesives and polished, if required.
Advantages of dental bridges
- Dental bridges prevent the drifting of teeth from their positions. When a tooth is extracted, a gap will be left in the mouth which the remaining teeth tend to occupy. When a bridge is used to replace the missing tooth, it fills the gap and prevents the movement of the teeth.
- They are made from dental grade ceramic material that is strong, durable and behaves just like a real tooth in terms of aesthetics and functionality (however, they don’t have any sensitivity due to the absence of nerves). They look exactly like natural teeth and anyone who looks at you talk or smile wouldn’t have the faintest idea that it is a prosthetic tooth.
- Bridges would last for several years with proper care. Brushing twice a day would prevent the accumulation of plaque and tartar on them, allowing them to stay as good as new for a long time.
A dental bridge is a ceramic prosthetic tooth coupled with crowns on either side. The ceramic structure acts as the replacement tooth and the crowns help to hold it in place. The crowns are placed on the teeth adjacent to the gap and fixed using dental cement. The dentist would check for fit and comfort and polish it to give it a better finishing.
Call us at (760) 931-0144 or schedule an online appointment to know more about dental crowns and bridges.