Dentures are the modern-day solution to missing teeth. They are widely preferred by patients who have lost a significant number of teeth which makes it difficult to replace using alternatives such as dental implants or bridges. Dr. Ida Alfonso has treated hundreds of patients with missing teeth over her long-spanning career. Her vast knowledge in the field of dentistry allows her to provide the best customized treatment solution to cater to every individual patient’s condition.
Dentures are a set of prosthetic teeth that are held together by a metal framework. The framework is covered using gum-colored acrylic that visually acts as the gum tissues. Together, they provide a strong and reliable tooth restoration solution that can help you get back your lost smile.
Partial and complete dentures
Dentures can be customized to replace all or just a few specific teeth based on the requirement of the patient. A partial denture is one that contains only a few teeth that are firmly held in place by the metal framework. The main feature of a partial denture is a metal connector that comfortably rests on the palate. The denture can be removed and put back on whenever required.
A complete denture, as the name suggests, is a restorative appliance that replaces all the missing teeth. In case the patients have just a few teeth remaining that they wish to get extracted, we can have it done so that the complete dentures fit comfortably in the mouth. They, too, are removable and help to restore the functionality and aesthetics of the mouth.
Why should you choose dentures?
- A denture is the best tooth-replacement option for patients who have gotten several teeth extracted. In such cases, dental implants or bridges wouldn’t be the appropriate solution as the condition could get complicated and require several visits to the dentist’s office.
- Losing a significant number of teeth can alter the facial aesthetics and make you look older than you actually are. The cheeks and the chin tend to look shrunken. Dentures can help you get a fuller smile, thereby massively improving your facial appearance.
- They are removable. The dentures can be taken off whenever you want to, such as while cleaning your mouth or sleeping. They can be worn back again without hassle.
- They can be cleaned easily using your everyday toothpaste and toothbrush. This helps to remove the plaque and deposited food debris from the teeth.
- Biting and chewing food would resume to normal when you have dentures on. Also, the phonetics can be restored to the way it was before you lost your teeth.
- Perhaps, the biggest advantage of getting a denture is the visual similarity that it has with the natural teeth. No one would ever have the faintest idea that they are prosthetic ones as they can be made to match the exact color, texture, and contour of the natural teeth
How can I get a denture?
When you visit our practice for a denture, Dr. Ida Alfonso would carefully analyze your condition and decide your candidacy. Scans and x-rays will be taken to get a better idea of the oral structure. Once you’re deemed fit for a denture, highly precise molds of your mouth will be taken to fabricate the denture. It may take a couple of weeks for the dentures to be ready and arrive from the laboratory, after which we would place it in your mouth and check for fit and comfort. If any changes in the structure are required, they will be made until you feel they are perfect. You are sure to leave our practice with a beautiful and happy-looking smile.
Call us at (760) 931-0144 or schedule an online appointment to know more about dentures.